Thursday, July 14, 2016

Changing Times

We haven't chased fireflies this year. The boys have stayed up late for movie night, the home run derby, and playdates. KC has no clue what a firefly is. It breaks my heart a little. They've mentioned catching fireflies once this summer, but nothing insisting we do it. We used to make a tradition of it. Starting with smores while the sun sets, then doning nets and jars to chase the elusive bugs around the yard. It was our big welcome to summer.
My boys are older and their interests have started to evolve. It was bound to happen and I can appreciate their new interests. Movie night involves the four food groups - salty, sweet, chocolate, and sugary candy. Sometime a neighborhood friend joins us. Its a moment I've looked forward to, but it means we are leaving something else a bit behind (and I'm terrible at leaving things behind). Early this summer we visited their favorite splash park. The boys brought a friend. They played for a few minutes before moving on to the basketball courts. It feels like the change happened over night. One minute they are running through fountains laughing for hours, the next their off to shoot hoops.
We will chase fireflies again. KC is 2 now and her little sister will be close on her heels one summer night in a couple years. It's almost like a second chance to have their ages spread this way. We'll have the tradition again, and the boys, even though they will have outgrown it, will be excited for their sisters. I can see them helping catch the ones that try to escape by flying higher than the girls' little hands can reach. And I'll relish it. 
A lot of change seems to be happening this year with the move, the last baby, the boys maturing, and a few other odds and ends that make me feel life is a little too fast. It's a conglomerate of excitement and happiness mixed in with some bittersweet. I can't say I don't like it though. It feels good. My boys are growing more independent, finding their own interests, and challenging me more (in ways that aren't purely exhaustion or communication based). And through all these changing times, we're still us, our little group, that hangs together most of the day (I'm hoping I can say this until their older teenagers). So basically, catch you later fireflies!

 Linking up for Thoughts on Thursday with Annie and Natalie!

No comments :

Post a Comment