Thursday, June 14, 2018

Recent Reads

I love reading other people's book recommendations. I usually read blog book reviews on my phone and add ones I'm interested in to my library list as I read through. I get on reading kicks and right now, I'm in the zone. Here are my recent reads and thoughts:

The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir 
This is my most recent read. I finished it in exactly 2 days. It was really an addicting story with three different stories all intertwined. The characters sold me on this book, they are truly what got me hooked. The three main characters are each narrators giving the reader different viewpoints. It wasn't a super believable story and the author really loved using teasers of text about an event that had happened and later explaining it, but I still loved it.

 Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
I had trouble getting into this book throughout the first couple of chapters and by the end I was so sad it was over. The characters are quirky and you find yourself just rooting for them the whole time. I loved the story and it honestly isn't my usual type of story.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
I've seen this book recommended everywhere and to be honest, it was a waste of time to read. The characters were predictable, one dimensional, and very polarizing. The story was predictable and unbelievable. I can't think of one thing I liked about it.

Still Me by Jojo Moyes
This is the third book in the series and I loved it. I've loved the entire series. Louisa, the main character, takes a job in NYC and I loved reading her experiences in the city. I feel like the whole series has been about empowering women, and finding your unique gifts.

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriatry
Okay so to be honest I haven't finished this one. I've started it now 3 times. I just rechecked it out from the library and I'm thinking if I don't get through it now I never will. Keep going?

Also, most of these books I received through The Book of the Month club. My cousin is the best gift giver ever and got me this for my birthday (and then I gifted it to my mom for Christmas because I loved it so much). They offer 5 books to choose from every month, all different genres, and offer a synopsis, review, and a little bit to read. I highly recommend it!

No comments :

Post a Comment