Thursday, August 20, 2015

Here's to the New Year

I know the New Year is technically January 1st, but I've always felt the beginning of the school year is more appropriate for the New Year label. As a student I couldn't wait to embark on another year always bursting with possibilities. I'd study harder than ever, make amazing memories with friends, and maybe even be popular. Even if everything didn't eventually work out, there would be another school year, when everything was new again. New teachers, new class, new clothes (just kidding), a constant reinvention. 
My kindergarten school picture

I eventually became a teacher (after a slight stint working through summer - I still don't understand how people do that - in long sleeves and pants no less). The promises of a new year were even more exciting as a teacher. The new faces I'd meet and grow to love, the creative lessons I was going to develop, the joy I'd experience as they grew to love learning. Of course by Christmas I'd forgotten all of this and was ready for a break, but the promise of the new year and the feelings that come with it still stick with me.
My first day as a teacher!

Both boys are heading to school this year. I am so excited for them. I have my worries, my doubts, and of course my breaking heart as they are growing up, but I can feel it in the air. The promise of something new, a year full of possibilities, and friends, and adventure.
N's Meet the Teacher night

I always itch to return to teaching this time of year. My very first class graduated in June (graduated!). I've kept in touch with a few of my students and one invited me to her graduation party. She's heading off to college to become a teacher and I cannot be more excited for her. As these years pass I hope she feels that excitement of the new year just like I did.
Remember that cute little girl in the photo above - same girl just 10 years later!

Things will be changing in our family too. The boys will spend most of their day away, leaving me and KC to entertain each other. I will no longer have the preschool drop off that forces me into social situations (I'm such an introvert sometimes). And Chris is embarking on a slight career change. I've mentioned before what a terrible summer this has been, I'm looking forward to this new year starting. I need the promise of wonderful possibilities as well as the resolution to try harder, a fresh start even in the middle of the actual year. So cheers to 2015/2016!

3 comments :

  1. I completely empathize with school starting meaning fresh starts. I feel the fresh starts made mid year are even more genuine than the New Year's cliches. Lots of changes headed your way. I hope they are easily embraced & your 15/16 year is the best one ever!!! Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo, both of you and of you and your student, now and then. Wishing you a happy and positive start to your "new year"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the school year as a new start, that way we get two a year! Hope this is the best new year yet!

    ReplyDelete