Thursday, October 29, 2015

Fall Nostalgia

Living in such a busy season of three kids with school, baseball, attitudes, homework, nap times, piano, playdates, and so on, I often find myself thinking of the past. Things seemed simpler and it felt like we had more time to celebrate. I'm sure it wasn't as perfect as it seems in my head for every season of raising kids has it's ups and downs but I have so many fond memories. We did crafts, we made cookies, we had playdates at a farm an hour away (twice in a month!), and I loved it all. Our playgroup always joked that our motto was, "Livin' the Dream" and I can definitely say I look back with no regrets. 

So if you'll humor me, I'd love to revisit our past Halloweens in a few pictures. 

2007
My first baby and his first Halloween. My mom and I made his costume from a towel and some felt. It's one of my favorites and I'm hanging onto for his kids some day. He didn't trick or treat but we did pass out candy together (including to some of my former students)!


2008
Toddlerhood for N and one of my favorite stages. He was everywhere and the most adorable dinosaur ever. This was the year he caught on to the whole trick or treating deal. We made it up two streets and he was determined to fill his pumpkin!


2009
N had a homemade robot costume this year. No one really knew what he was (mom fail). It rained on Halloween which was okay with us. We spent the night before in the hospital after N fractured his skull and suffered a concussion. He was fine, but we were all on high alert for the next few weeks.



2010
A new little guy entered our lives this year. N and T made the cutest police officer and doggie. We also had just taken the kids on their first trip across the country which made this year extra exciting.



2011
N changed his mind about a zillion times before October. Then he and I flew back out to California and a flight attendant suggested he be an airplane for Halloween and it stuck! Another homemade costume but it was perfect for him, and up until this year was played with frequently.




2012
T was obsessed with Cookie Monster. It started as an Elmo obsession and quickly morphed into a love of all things Cookie Monster. N finally joined the superhero craze and was Spiderman. He had always been scared of super heroes (if you need a super hero there must be a villain and villains are scary) so this was a big step. We also laughed at his choice because each year one kid in our playgroup decided to be Spiderman, N continued the tradition.



2013
T stuck with his Cookie Monster costume for another year and N borrowed a homemade Angry Bird costume. We did a lot of our usual Halloween festivities, but I was pregnant, sick, and tired!


2014
Another little one joined our crew and in true 3rd child fashion, did not have a costume. N had moved up a level in baseball and a lot of our fall was practices and games. We still made it to the patch and trick or treated with friends, but the month long celebration of all things fall had definitely slowed. 



This brings us to the present. The boys and KC have costumes (although today Chris mentioned we need to get the guys light sabers - not sure where to find them this late in the game). We've been to the farm, we've painted pumpkins, throw in some cookie baking and I'll call this year another win. Are you ready for Saturday? Or as a parent I should ask, are you ready for Sunday?



3 comments :

  1. Lol are the boys fighting over the pumpkin in the second to last picture? Light sabers...I've seen them in the toy section at both Walmart & Target.
    Not sure if we are ready for Saturday, but I do know that we are totally NOT ready for Sunday with the time change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lands! I accidentally did the EXACT same post today! :) Great minds think alike! I can't believe how much baby T looks like baby KC! They're like the same kid! And I am loving all the photos and costumes and pumpkins and leaves! It's not only amazing to see how much they've grown, but how wonderful your photography skills have developed! I can't wait for this year's photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been so long since I've caught up on blog reading. This reminds me I still haven't posted our Halloween pictures. I love all the years in one post. I totally would have gotten robot!! Love all the home made costumes. And the baby pictures of N and T. Time really does fly!

    ReplyDelete