Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Books of 2015

Reading a book a month was one of my goals for 2015 and it's one I actually accomplished! I maybe didn't exactly read one a month, but it averaged out to more than one a month, so I'm counting it (I also reread The Hunger Games series but at this point pretty much anyone who meets me immediately knows my obsession with it, so I left it off the list). When I read I become absolutely obsessed and have to finish. This means I book usually takes me a couple days to finish and the kids eat cereal for dinner. I should probably work on that whole issue (or just watch more movies).

I love hearing what books others are reading and what they recommend. Looking at my choices this past year, here's what I would recommend and what I wouldn't:

2015 Books



For the books I loved, both What Alice Forgot and The Royal We are completely fun reads. I loved the characters, adored the story, and thought 'I can't wait till this is a movie.' Luckily the Harry Potter series is already a movie, so after a finished them all, we watched them all. I cannot wait to reread these with the kids! I am in completely awe of J.K. Rowling's ability to create another world and the intricacies of the story she created (I'm guessing I'm not the only one ;) ). 

The books I weren't so impressed varied for different reasons. The One and Only I'd heard really mixed reviews on and it was my first Emily Griffith book. I hated it. I thought it was terrible. I enjoyed the writing and the writing style but was really disappointed in the story. I felt two of the main themes of the story were never really resolved. The Selection Series I read while sick in bed. It was a cute series but the writing wasn't impressive and themes that could have really be explored where skimmed over for more superficial topics. If you like The Bachelor it's basically a written version of the show with a prince as the big catch. The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up was a complete waste of time and money. I wasn't impressed by anything I read. It may have worked for other people but her strategies would never work for our home.

Did you read any of these? What's on your list for 2016? I just started reading Mindy Kaling's new book, Why Not Me? and love it (my cousin who has the best taste in books - she recommended The Royal We - sent it to me). I need something to read when I'm done!

4 comments :

  1. Can you elaborate more on The Life Changing Habit of Tidying Up? I've had this in my Amazon cart for about a week. Now I'm wondering if I should purchase. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I harbored such a deep love for The Hunger Games series when I read them a few years ago- I felt like a total tweenager. I love that you own it- I knew we had a connection! haha I've read lots of Emily Giffins and agree that this one was particularly underwhelming. I love all Liane Moriarty reads- I've read them all and for the most part, have found them all interesting and entertaining. Since we're admitting to enjoying YA lit, have you read any Rainbow Rowell? I read a few of hers last year. (and did you do Divergent series? I did them soon after Hunger Games and even though very similar, I totally enjoyed!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I am dying for Liane Moriarty to come out with another book! Right now I am reading All The Light We Cannot See. It is a deeper, more serious read, but I am enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I just bought that Tidying Up book with high hopes that it would change my life! I mean, in all actuality, it's probably just going to sit on my messy desk until I pile so much crap on it that I can no longer find it and I'll never read it. Unless it's going to grow arms and legs and clean my house, I'm not sure it'll be as magical as I'm hoping.

    ReplyDelete