Friday, January 15, 2016

Five on Friday // Shows We Love

I just finished reading Mindy Kaling's new book, Why Not Me? and it has me a little outraged (kidding, that is a total exaggeration) that Fox dropped her show. She appears as such a regular person (who works like crazy and is also incredibly witty). Luckily Hulu picked it up and now that's where you find Chris and I Tuesday nights, watching The Mindy Project on Hulu. 
This led me to think other shows that aren't quite so mainstream that we've loved. Maybe it's because Mindy often talks about Colin Firth playing Mr. Darcy that led me to once again watch the BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice after finishing her book. There is no other comparison for Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy than Colin Firth. And I refuse to watch any other version of the book. It's also interesting to note the actress who plays Elizabeth Bennett is from Winston Salem.

Thinking of the BBC, makes me think of PBS and one of my favorite shows is on PBS, A Chef's Life. It follows a chef from Kingston, NC, who moved to NYC, but then moved back to open a restaurant in Kingston. Each week she talks about a different food topic (potatoes, beets, shrimp, you get it), but there's also tidbits about her life (she has twins), and running a restaurant. She has a cookbook coming out soon and I cannot wait to get one!

When we first started streaming Hulu and Netflix, Chris went a little crazy on show bingeing. But he found this awesome Hulu original that we now recommend to everyone. I think Chris has watched it 3 times (it's just one season). It follows a senatorial campaign in Wisconsin (fictionally, of course) and the lead is the campaign manager. I was totally against a political show, but this one is really clever and funny. I wish they'd make another season.

Chris also discovered Master of None. Although this one may be a bigger deal than I'm aware of since Aziz Ansari is so popular. We flew through this series (one season). It's kind of funny but also kind of awkward in that real kind of way. Chris loved it. I think Aziz Ansari is really funny.

That wraps up my list. Right now we are bingeing on Parenthood and The Office. Parenthood is a little too intense for me so The Office is a nice compliment. What shows are on your list? We are always looking for something new to watch! So far we've gone through Lost, 30 Rock, Revenge, and I tend to have Gilmore Girls on a continuous loop. 

Linking up with the Five on Friday crew!




5 comments :

  1. We were mindy project fans from the get go and I was so surprised how many friends didn't know about it! We don't have Hulu so now we just miss it terribly! Anthony and I have always said the shows we like most get cancelled so maybe we have off humor or something haha. Like we loved the show Better off Ted and some nbc comedies that didn't hang around. It makes us hesitant to get attached HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love A Chef's Life! It's so interesting and I just enjoy seeing everything from motherhood, to food planning to Vivian running the restaurant with the help of her family. It's a great show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of some of these so I'll have to check em out! Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Mindy! I was bummed when Fox cancelled her show as well but so happy someone picked it up! I just finished Bloodline on Netflix, I LOVED it! We started Homeland yesterday, I am enjoying that as well. Last year I did The Gilmore Girls and I started The West Wing this past fall. I am going to check out A Chef's Life later tonight. Thanks for the recommendations! Good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these. We've almost finished all 6 seasons of White Collar - we both really like it, but it is a little cheesy how things always work out to solve the crimes. We're watching how to get away with murder and scandal (although haven't seen any since it picked back up after the holidays) and I'm trying to catch up on the Bachelor, but there isn't enough time in the day haha.

    ReplyDelete