Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thoughts on Moving

We've lived here for two months now and I've realized that I'm really bad at moving. Granted this was our first move, so I think I get some slack but there are some really frustrating things. Here's what I would do differently:

1. When the former owner said we could do work before we moved, I would have pushed harder to get the painters, carpet people, and duct cleaners here. Moving in while waiting for work to be done and living with multiple people working around you (with a toddler that NEEDS a nap) was not fun. I didn't see the need to rush into it, in hindsight it would have saved so much stress.
 Floors in the dining room before and after. 
The wallpaper removal/painting took about four days because the drywall needed to be repaired. Something that would have been great to have done before we lived here (it was the same in the kitchen as well).

2. I don't think we completely thought through room assignments and now we want to change them. Luckily the paint will work anyway, but this does seem like a hassle (moving beds, dressers, etc). I don't blame myself entirely because you really have to figure out how the flow works and it's hard to do that before a move.

Our dining room/office. 
Moving the kids around will allow us to have an office, but for now this is where we work. 

3. LABEL ALL CORDS. I cannot find the printer cord at all. I keep finding cords and having no clue what they are for or where they go. It is so frustrating. We left our computer and printer on until the last second (thanks to a remote close that kept needing signatures and paperwork scanned) but still we could have done a better job.

4. We planned on getting rid of our filing cabinet when we moved. It was in our old walk in attic and we didn't think we'd have room for it. Now we have files in every room (most still in boxes). Chris keeps everything. He plans on scanning it, but one we don't have a cord and two our computer is full of pictures. Luckily we still have the cabinet so now I just need to move all the files back to it.

5. I knew that not everything would go to plan with the work we had done. I expected things to cost more but stupidly didn't really how much extra time would be added to the jobs. The paint was supposed to take a week, it took three (and the kitchen ceiling with all it's coats, really needs another). The carpet was glued down to carpet, glued down to tile, glued down to the slab (yea fun). Chris has been asking me to call the plumber for a few issues, and part of me just wants to wait before dealing with more people invading and telling me how what I want isn't going to work unless, blah blah blah.

The carpet on top of carpet removed, and tile is being removed. 
Think old school tile and carpet, thin and not pretty.

6. I would have discarded a ton more stuff. A ton. There are two rooms still full of boxes. We just shut the door and don't think about them. But I need to get everything done by December (or before I'm huge and unable to move).

The former guest bedroom that will become the boys' room. 
It's hard to even look in this room two months later.

All that said, I would do it again. We love our new neighborhood and we have a great yard, even if it's been a headache getting here. Hopefully in six months things will be a little different.




Linking up with Natalie and Annie for Thoughts on Thursday.

1 comment :

  1. Moving is stressful and crazy, especially the first time around! We just realized we've moved like 6 times in the past 5 years and have been blessed with movers on about half of those moves, but it still is stressful. We're moving next week from DC to Charleston and I'm already freaking out about everything :). You're right though, it's so worth it!

    Erin, Attention to Darling
    www.attentiontodarling.com

    ReplyDelete