Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Weekend Review: Mother's Day Weekend

 This was definitely a weekend we will remember. We started it off walking the boys to the bus stop and playing some catch before they "caught" the bus. They always wave to us (well unless they're mad at us) and it really is the sweetest thing. The bus turns right at our corner and so we wave them off down the street.

Chris worked from home and we made a trip to Dean and Deluca for lunch and the walked over to Paper Source for the best Mother's Day cards (don't be jealous of our awesome 1966 countertops).

 It was pretty chilly Friday so this girl was bundled up. She is getting so big and active. I've noticed she will get fussy if she doesn't have some "floor time."

Saturday started off bright at early with baseball pictures at 8am and a game at 9am. It was a big win (over a coach who yelled not so nice things) and we followed it up with another game and another big win (over a team that smashed T's nose). Afterwards we headed home ordered our favorite Chinese food, ate outside, and lit the firepit for smores (note: if you have a movable firepit and put it over grass it will kill said grass and I definitely should have known better). 

Sunday morning Chris was up super early and it wasn't to surprise me. He was sick. The poor guy would get sick and then apologize to me, like he could control it. The boys were up early so my parents and I grabbed bagels with them (my parents were visiting). KC slept in (thank goodness, she's a monster when she's tired). I'd left Curious George on and milk and crackers (her favorite) out by the couch so she wouldn't have to disturb Chris if she woke. When we returned she was still asleep. I checked on Chris and he was worse. It didn't take long to convince him to visit Urgent Care (I know it's bad if he's agreeing to get medical help). So by 9:30 we were at Urgent Care. It took them about 30 minutes to tell us he needed to go to the ER for a possible appendicitis and off we went. Chris went through scans and fluids and sure enough he needed his appendix out (or appy as the medical community referred to it - "oh he's here for an appy"). We were transferred to a room and told to wait.

It wasn't lost on me that it was Mother's Day and here I was, once again, relying on my mother (and father) for help. They (along with Chris' mom) watched the kids all day. I didn't get a chance to see KC at all on Mother's Day which I tried not to think about (and let's be honest, she most definitely in the terrible twos phase so it's not all bad). I had two pumped bottles frozen and once those were gone my parents brought Katherine to hang out at the hospital (and honestly since I didn't have my pump I *needed* her to come to the hospital as 9 hours without nursing a baby who eats every 3 can get a little uncomfortable). 


Around 8:15pm they came to take us to pre-op where we said our goodbyes. Katherine and I hung out in the waiting room having zerbert blowing contests. At 9:30 the surgeon came out to say it went great and he was recovering. A nurse took me back to visit him and he looked so much better! We all spent the night in the hospital. Chris took two work calls Monday morning and we were released around 11am. 

I was so excited to see KC, but she was definitely holding a grudge about us leaving without saying anything. She loves my parents but she doesn't handle change very well, especially unexpected change. It took her a day to warm up to me. 

N had a baseball game Monday night. My parents stayed to watch the kids so we could both go. And against doctor's orders Chris coached 1st base. I joke we were the last ones to leave the ball park as he hobbled back to the car. Since then we've been taking it easy and enjoying the time together. I've told him not to try this plan of emergency surgery with non-vital organs next year to get out of Mother's Day again (I mean who needs a gall bladder ;) ).


2 comments :

  1. Poor Chris and you!! Not a fun way to end what sounded like a fun weekend. At least appendix surgery isn't too major, hope he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's quite a weekend! Well thank goodness you got him to seek medical attention and got it taken care of quickly! Can't be chasing around all those babies by yourself for too long- whew!

    ReplyDelete