Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Boys' Room

Recently we've been talking more about having a shared space for the boys. Sometimes I feel silly putting so much effort into their rooms since they change so quickly (N has had two - so to be 3 - rooms completely designed for him, yet we are still living with the couches we bought on our just married budget). But T sleeps on the floor (technically a mattress on the floor), so it just seems like something needs to change. I've been searching for inspiration for a while now. I've always loved Holly Mathis Interiors. She has the most comfortable and effortless style. Below is her boys shared room.

This is pretty much the set up that works in the room my boys will share. It's about a 10x10 room, so not huge, and there are two free walls, one with a window, and one with the entry door and closet. With two beds, I'll need a storage piece between them (and in front of the window) as nothing else but the two beds will fit. Here's an early idea of what I'm thinking:
These beds are somewhat similar to what we have now, both boys have a large letter for their name as well. I need to find a dresser - this one works well (in a lighter stain). (Our beds have the rounded feet and tops, unlike these beds). The Roman Shade is from Pottery Barn Kids as well.  

I've been rounding up a few items we will be needing to help complete the room. I picked up the ticking stripe duvet from Ikea. I don't know why, but I love a ticking stripe. I plan on painting the room a soft tan. I think the less color, the bigger the room will look so I want to match the shade to the paint as best as possible. I know my boys will be disappointed to not have fun duvets, so I thought I let them have fun with their sheets. I picked out some dog sheets from the Land of Nod. The pillows are here, and here.

I still need to consider lighting, some art, and where to put all our books! Here are a few other inspiration pictures I've pinned. 

These are both from Lauren Stern Design:

I love the elephant and the whale pictures (and I have a perfect wall for them).

Restoration Hardware (I always forget how wonderful they are! I may need to redo my design board).
We have some time as I haven't even ordered T's bed yet, but it is fun to start planning. Usually I just throw things together so this is a first for me (and I have to say it is a lot less stressful!). I'll be back tomorrow with Friday Finds!





No comments :

Post a Comment