Friday, June 20, 2014

Five on Friday: Revisiting Resolutions

Happy Friday! Our week started off strong and has slowly become a little less structured (the boys are still in PJs today and we've made a Starbucks run for me, where as the beginning of the week included a playground, the library, chick-fil-a, two loads of laundry and cooking - my goal for today is to make cookies with them). The nice thing about this week (and being on my own from before sun up until after sun down) is the boys have been so exhausted from summer they've been asking to go to bed before 7! I hope everyone has had a great week!


My first post in January was our resolutions for the boys. With half the year over, I think it's time to revisit and see how we are doing!

Here are the resolutions with an update:


1. Eat/Try veggies and lunch and dinner. I want to get them in the habit of expecting veggies to be part of their meals. We do it for dinner nightly already and I'm working on stepping up my lunchtime game. We have been working hard on this one. Dinner is still the time when the boys receive most of their veggies, but I always make sure they have at least one at lunch. I can do better I know. Dinner has been a real success for example, last night the boys had potatoes with sour cream and salsa, kale chips, salad and frozen grapes. It was a huge hit and they both asked for more kale chips and potatoes. 

2. Learn to ride a bike without training wheels. This is mainly for N but I wouldn't put it past T to attempt this one as well. I will never buy another bike with training wheels again - it will most definitely be balance bikes from here on out. We can check this one off! N's been without training wheels for months!


3. Stick with piano. Again for N, I'd like to see him stick with piano for the entire year. While he loathes practice, he enjoys when he can actually play a song (He loved learning Christmas songs this winter). N is still taking piano lessons. We went through a really motivated period and now we are back to not wanting to practice. He just had a recital the first weekend in June and he was actually excited about it. He's learned some fun songs, which he enjoys, but asking him to practice is like pulling teeth.

4. Practicing "school-work" with T. This is something I did with N, and probably a little before it's time. T is at a point where he is very interested in letters and numbers and I feel like I should be encouraging it quite a bit more than I am (which technically isn't more than teaching him how to spell his name). I didn't attempt this one at all until N was out of school. I was such a tired preggo! Now with N out of school, once a day we take about twenty minutes and I work with both guys on math and reading. I'm really proud of myself because I'm not the type to be so disciplined (and I should be - I was a teacher)! 


Now, for one I'm adding -

5. Floss at night. At N's last dentist check up the dentist mentioned his back teeth are now touching. We've always bought the kiddie flossers for the kids but our dentist said she prefers we use floss because it hugs the teeth better. I attempted flossing his teeth the first few nights and it was a pain (literally) for both of us. This one definitely needs work!

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a great FIRST DAY OF SUMMER!! 

I'm linking up with Natasha, Darci, April and Christina!

1 comment :

  1. You go, mama! Impressive goals and you guys are doing awesome! Love the idea of incorporating more veggies and doing homework during the summer. Great ideas. I also hope my kids will play the piano some day. Must add "get a piano" to my to do list! :)

    ReplyDelete