Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Sunshine Heart Garland

It is supposed to snow today! I love how it looks outside before it snows. The gray clouds and the soft light, on any other day it would seem gloomy, but today it's exciting. I have a little art project to share today. The boys and I have created different versions of this, but what I'm sharing today is my favorite one by far (even N was surprised how pretty it was this morning - we put it up last night when the sun had already set).



Sunshine Heart Garland
Here's what you need:
coffee filters
washable paint and brushes
contact paper
scissors
hole punch
ribbon or yarn

This project is super easy (but does require a bit of adult help). To start, get as many coffee filters as you think you can paint and washable paint (not watercolors, they will barely show up but definitely washable because the paint will be EVERYWHERE).
 Then paint away - try and not golp it on. If you want a smooth look, then use a paint brush, if you like the tie-dye/stained glass look, glop it in spots and fold it over.

 Leave them out to dry. Once dry, stack them and cut a heart shape. (My 6 year old is giving one to his teacher and cut his own, I did the rest). Notice all the paint on my table.
 Roll out the contact paper and lay the hearts on it flat. Then top them off with another layer of paper (basically you are laminating them). Cut out the heart shape one more time.
 Hole punch the sides and tie the hearts together.  I used yarn because I had it and it looked sweet.
Then the last step is to hang it in front of a window and wait for the sunshine.




The boys made single hearts for their teachers. I attached a pretty ribbon for it to hang from and a little note that says "You fill my heart with sunshine. Happy Valentine's Day!"

No comments :

Post a Comment