Thursday, January 23, 2014

Zucchini Cakes

Zucchini Cakes are T's second favorite meal (only to cheesy pasta, which I've already shared). These also happen to be my husband's favorite meal. I originally found the recipe on pinterest but since then (over a year ago), the link has been removed. I've been making them for some time, and I've changed them up just a bit. Just recently I started making the "lazy mom's cucumber sauce" to go with them instead of our usual Annie's Cowgirl Ranch and we always serve them with kale chips. N is not a fan of zucchini cakes, but he will eat a whole tray of kale chips and ask for more. Often I also throw together a smoothie, it just seems to work so well with it all.

My little helper grating the zucchini (he helps with the entire process until they go on the stove)

It's a one bowl, one saute pan deal - and so quick.

the plate full (technically one was already eaten - so I spread them out a little)

Zucchini Cakes
you need:
2-3 zucchini
1 c Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 c parmesan cheese (not the powdery kind - I like the flakes)
a pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp of paprika
2-3 eggs
oil for the pan

the process:
  1. start by grating the zucchini, once it's all grated, use a paper towel on top and bottom to get all the moisture out (as much as possible - I usually end up doing three rounds of paper towel presses)
  2. throw zucchini in a bowl with everything but the oil (I add eggs one at a time to see how sticky the mixture becomes - I almost always use 2, but sometimes it still seems too dry so I throw in another. You want it to be sticky but not wet).
  3. heat the oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan
  4. form cakes out of the mixture and place in the pan
  5. flip after about 5 minutes (you want the bottom golden brown)
  6. after another five, remove and place on paper towel (both sides should be brown now)
if I have a large batch, I'll have to do a few rounds in the pan.

If you want to make my lazy cucumber sauce, just mix equal parts greek yogurt and sour cream and squeeze a little lemon in there too. (It's a little ridiculous to even call it cucumber sauce.)





1 comment :