Monday, August 1, 2016

Weekending Thoughts

Happy August 2016! July flew by, didn't it? After the holiday passed, we had quite a few weekends at home to help us get settled and it's been really nice (if not eye opening to the list of items on our house to-do list)! Our garage door spring broke Friday afternoon with Chris' car inside and mine outside. He drove mine to work today so we are having a day at home and waiting for Garage Door Guru to come rescue Chris' car. We are also awaiting a duct cleaning estimate. Our 50 year old house stinks. The painter noticed the ducts were very dirty (and the old paint had nice fan shaped dust marks coming from every vent - so gross). I had a cleaning scheduled for right when we moved in, and the company was terrible. They cancelled multiple times, and then showed up three hours late after I told them multiple times I had to leave by a certain time. Anyway, hopefully this will work this time.

Having spent a few weekends at home now, we are really loving our house and neighborhood. We spent most of Saturday organizing and moving items to the attic. We've been working on shifting rooms around in addition to getting through the final bins and boxes from moving (aside from what's in the garage). While this was going on, the boys and friends from down the street were running back and forth from both homes playing spies and squealing each time they were discovered. Again, love this neighborhood with all the friends my kids have to play with - and no arranging "playdates". 

The boys finished up a basketball camp on Friday. They both loved it. At the end of the week they asked the parents to attend a scrimmage and award ceremony. KC loved trying to steal the boys' attention. She also hated dropping them off every morning. She is really going to miss them when they head back to school.

Afterwards we stopped for some celebratory ice cream (that had nothing to do with me also being pregnant). 

Back to school shopping went down for two hours on Saturday. TWO HOURS. Why oh why are certain supplies so specific?! N needed 12 count crayons, T needed 16 count crayons - 2 boxes. Well we found neither and they are both getting 24 count crayons. Our new school offers preordering supplies which we will be doing next year.

Sunday we took the boys to the baseball field for some hitting practice and lots of sweating. It was 88 degrees, but according to TWC, felt like 98. No one was upset when the sprinkles came on and gave us a shower. 

Later that day we headed to the pool with friends. They both have birthdays this week so we celebrated with pizza and cupcakes and the kids played for three hours. 

This is one moment I'm sad I don't have pictures. I've noticed more and more that I don't have my phone or carry my camera as much. From the beach, to just our daily adventures, I'm not documenting as much. Part of me doesn't mind because it means I'm engaged in what we are doing that much more, but part of me knows I'm going to forget the huge smile on KC's face as she played with her buddies, their dad taking turns throwing each one in the air and splashing into the pool. Or all four of the big kids tagging onto Chris' back as he tries to dunk the pool basketball. Even KC teaming up with a girl we didn't know to hold hands and jump into the baby pool. It was an evening of pure happiness (fueled by cupcakes) and I don't have pictures of it. I feel like a lot of time memories are sparked by pictures more than anything else and I don't want to be lazy about capturing moments, but I want to fully enjoy the moment as well. Just a thought I've been having as my children grow and the moments pass, especially these summer moments where my children are still with me and not off at overnight camp or a friend's house.

I guess I leave it at that thought and maybe try and capture a little more each day. I hope you have a great week ahead and an especially good Monday (it's actually kind of cool and cloudy here today which is such a nice break from the heat)!

No comments :

Post a Comment