Thursday, July 17, 2014

Thoughts for Thursday

Happy Thursday! I'm linking up with Annie and Natalie for Thoughts on Thursday. 
Thoughts for Thursday
N is at his last day of basketball camp. He has loved it, but honestly it's hilarious watching him. He tends to watch when he's in the game instead of actually playing. This is our first morning at home and not running around this week and I LOVE it. It's funny to think when N was born I was dying to get out of the house each and every day, and after T came the gift of a day at home was never overrated. It's even better with 3! 

Sometimes I feel like there are two types of moms - the type that can do it all, and the type that learn to let it go. It's taken me three kids, but I'm definitely the let it go type. 
Last Monday a friend stopped by with dinner. She had twins (her third and fourth babies) in February. She had a dinner made and frozen for us before I even gave birth. Her hair is always done, she nurses, but always has a bottle just in case, and there is never unfolded laundry in her house. When she stopped by, KC had been in need of attention all afternoon, there was laundry on our table, cushions off the couch, the boys had thrown all their stuffed animals in the nursery, KC's dirty laundry was on the floor (I still need a hamper), and well basically, we were a mess. She left and I almost lost it. I was so embarrassed. But since then I think I've realized it's okay for me not to be that mom (maybe one day I will be) but for now, this works for us. To top it all off, I totally forgot to thank her for the gifts for the boys in the thank you I wrote this weekend! But I can laugh at myself.
So my house is covered in Legos, the boys' new bookshelf is still in a box in the garage (so books are all over their floor), T leaves in the morning with crazy hair (it looked like this all day) and Tuesday morning Chris' car was towed (and did a mention that when packing for the weekend I completely forgot to pack underwear for myself?).
Then there are those baby snuggles and smiles. This little gal loves her big brothers and will smile for them as soon as she sees them. I can't let the stress of not being able to enjoy the kids and keep my act together like my friend get in the way of this. (My friend definitely enjoys her kids, it isn't like she picks keeping her act together over being a great mom - she really does do it all)
And then yesterday when we were all picking up our boys from camp, another mom (who attends the same preschool) mentioned she lost her debit card at a gas station and then saw the check she wrote for her son's tutor laying on the ground in the parking lot, soaked with rain. As someone who found her credit card in the middle of the street, obviously run over multiple times and hasn't had a debit card in over two years (no clue where it is) - I could relate.
Maybe there is a grey area with moms who know what to let go and what to focus on - but I am definitely not there yet. Let's just hope by the time school rolls around I can at least be sure the boys have lunches and N has homework completed!

I'm hoping to share newborn pictures tomorrow (if I can get my act together - ha)! Hope everyone is having a great week!




8 comments :

  1. I am having to let it go too and I only have one kid. Your babies are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you manage 3!! I think you have to just let it go to keep your sanity. I only have one and since his first birthday (and even before) I feel like we have toys ALL OVER THE HOUSE all of the time!!! It's crazy the amount of things that one little child can have! You're doing awesome and those kids are adorable!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all struggle with finding that "perfect" balance. I know I do. I can barely manage to keep our lives together and I only have one child (right now). The moms that we "think" can do it all, also have areas they feel they can improve. Their areas are just hidden from all to see. I'm rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you're a rock star for having three and keeping up with all them. There's a girl I know that has 5 and she and the kids always look GORGEOUS and her house is spotless and they always do fun things and live in a big house, and I think HOW? But all that really matters is that your babies are happy and healthy and that you're a present mom. Who cares about everything else?! I'm sure you're doing great! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing an amazing job mama! Look at those beautiful healthy happy kids. The house can wait ;) I only have one (2.5mo) and I can hardly manage the laundry and a clean kitchen. I can't imagine what it will be like with 3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to have it all together but I never do. I'm always late, my kids are always missing something (like shoes) and I am just an all-around hot mess, but I would have nothing to laugh at otherwise and I know that we are fighting the same happy battle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a rockstar!! I feel like I can barely hold it together with one baby, I am finding that staying super organized is the only way I feel sane these days and I'm trying to get a better organization system in place before baby #2 comes. I grew up with a mom who seriously had it all together all the time and always looked perfect but I will admit there were a lot of rules on where and how we could play in the house- she wasn't strict but she was tough about some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED this post. I used to be a perfectionist but it is slipping and I know with another on the way I need to understand that my son won't have a perfect "big boy room" in one night. Life is a process and I need to stop making it harder on myself than it is!

    ReplyDelete