Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saturday Musings

With the beautiful weather it seems I've neglected quite a few things - blog posts, cleaning, painting the nursery, just to name a few. Spring break has officially started which means it's me and the boys all next week. I am so excited for this week, because the next time N or T have a week off from school there will be another little being demanding my attention as well. They have planned a fun week ahead, playgrounds, riding the train to meet daddy for lunch, bike rides on the greenways (if I can hobble fast enough behind them). I love that they are asking for these experiences instead of Monkey Joes or other indoor kid areas. It's too pretty to spend money to stay indoors!

We have a birthday party today, and this is my new go-to 4 year old gift.
I bought this book for T's Easter basket, but couldn't resist taking it when I was the Mystery Reader in N's class this week. The kids LOVED it. And both N and T requested it again at bedtime (each night so far since introducing it). The book is a bit long for a 4 year old, but T seems to enjoy it. N on the other hand loved it and decided to write his own story from the crayon's perspective. 
Our party today is an art party so I thought it was a perfect gift. We have another party next week, and I did the same present but switched out the plain coloring pad for a coloring book of the child's favorite character. 



T and I planted a lot of bulbs last fall (light bulbs to him). He helped me with each and everyone. When they started poking through this spring, he was very excited. Each day at breakfast we look to see what new ones have opened. I cut a few to put on our table as well, which has been a nice reminder of our time together. It also inspired T to plant more flowers. I let him pick out a few at Lowe's and he pulled the cart, loaded them in the car and planted them all by himself. Oh and the most important part - he watered them too. Every day so far. They might drown.
T and N's auntie gave them adorable gardening kits one year for Easter - it may have spurred their love. 
The boys and I discuss whether the watering can is a lizard or a frog every day. It's a lizard, I know I'm right - they are just stubborn. And the nice thing about it is that it can't hold too much water making it too heavy.

Remember all that nursery progress that was going to happen. Yea - this is what it looks like: 
My inspiration is posted here. T and I did paint the trim and he was begging to spackle some holes. This is one determined little worker. Now for the actual paint on the walls and crib assembly. Then to actually purchase the other items that will go in the room.

And last, now that it's warmed up it's the perfect time for my favorite quinoa salad. Even the boys gobbled it down (although it isn't their favorite, and they actually ate the plain lettuce first). The recipe is here (although I omit the garlic and cut back on the onions). And if you haven't tried Garden of Eatin' blue corn chips, you are missing out. They are now the only ones we will buy. Although at Harris Teeter it's $8 for a large bag, whereas at Earthfare it's $4 for the same size. 


I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! This is my first weekend to miss N's game so that I can attend T's (Chris helps in the field during N's games so it makes sense he's there). And I know I've said it before but we are going to paint the nursery. 



1 comment :

  1. It's a chameleon! Cute gardening stuff! I love it when they're old enough to realize the flowers are from their planting!

    ReplyDelete