Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Preschool Play Dough Secret & VV sale

When N started preschool, I learned the secret to play dough: like so many other things, homemade is crazy better than store bought. Our preschool classes have a family sign up to bring in a new batch of playdough each month, and now I make it for us at home every few months as well. This last time, T helped me make it, and then played for 4 HOURS! He does have a super long attention span, but 4 hours was more than I ever expected. I have a few different recipes but I included my favorite at the bottom. 



 We made his favorite color. He decided it was "pool blue" and not "ocean blue". He likes to be exact. It comes out looking slimy and goopy, but kneading it for a couple minutes (once it's cool) makes it the perfect consistency. 

 We have quite a few different things we use with our play dough. A container of dinosaurs is the most popular, but we also have plastic cookie cutters (you can get a tub of 100 at Bed Bath and Beyond for like $10), stamps, and these tools (they were in T's Christmas stocking). 
 We also gave the dinosaurs a bath a few times. It would probably be a good idea to do this each time so the playdough doesn't dry in their mouths and around their feet.
 Playdough is also great for working on letters and spelling. My first graders used to use it for their high frequency words.
To keep our playdough extra clean, the boys have to wash hands before they play and I always clean the table. It will last us quite a few months (we keep it in a gallon ziplock bag).

Here's our favorite recipe:
Play dough:
2 cups flour (I buy the cheapie flour instead of using our good flour)
2 cups water
1 cup salt
2 TBSP cream of tartar
2 TBSP oil
any color food coloring (and glitter if you want)

Mix all ingredients over low heat in a saucepan stirring constantly until it starts to fall from the sides of the pan. Remove from pan and place on foil to let cool. Knead until playdough has a consistency you like. (Your pan will look like it may never come clean, but once playdough cools it's super easy to wash up).

Also Vineyard Vines is offering 30% off sale items this weekend with the code SPRING14. 
I love these:
(I think I've mentioned it a few times already!) 
(we have this in multiple sizes - love it)
 (first pic - Bower Studio Photography)




1 comment :

  1. Good to know! I made some at Christmas for gifts but haven't made any for our use.

    ReplyDelete